Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Why I Am A Reluctant Paleo Convert

Yes, I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the Paleo movement, by my body, my child, my doctor.  But here I am and loving it!  Well, kind of, except, if you are like me you have decades of fond food memories and desires to be tamed and adapted.  And you have no idea what to do with some of the new foods you find yourself buying at the Farmer’s Market or Whole Foods. (Turban squash anyone?)


Luckily, with the Internet, books, and some helpful blogs, I've found some creative and talented guides to help me on my quest to transform my family's diet. It wasn't easy after 20 years of cooking the way I thought was healthy and tasty - I love food and have had to cut some things out already which made me love the rest even more.


Given that there are already several great websites and cookbooks out there, I really had to justify to myself why I needed to add my voice (and time) to the Paleo movement.  Honestly, I had often thought about writing about food, health and disease many times before.  Over the years, I have sought out information and tried many things to help my Crohn’s disease and had many set-backs and experiences that I thought could help others with similar problems.  But time, lack of confidence, dislike of computers, and my lack of energy have all held me back from trying.


Now, I feel like I’ve had my eyes opened to achieving lasting health for me and my family in a natural way, and I want to help others, as well as stay motivated to keep on a healthy path myself.  I hope to blog mostly about common issues for similarly reluctant, but hopeful, Paleo eaters. I'll share our experiences eating Paleo as family - how we are cooking, eating, shopping, traveling, and trying to live our life as fully as possible with dietary constraints. And I will add and index my favorite new recipes. I may even tackle some lingering doubts and questions I have about the sustainability of eating Paleo.




I am making this somewhat radical change under the guidance and supervision of a terrific doctor who has studied diet and the connection to health for years, and if I can share some of the wisdom I've received, I will. But I am not myself a doctor or even a trained scientist, so I will try to share other sites that seem to be written with that background if you are looking for a more scientific reason about why this diet works.


No comments:

Post a Comment